It’s New Years’ Eve and I’ve just finished making Oatmeal Honey Chocolate Chip cookies for a party later this evening. I’m in rainy San Diego (so strange to say that it’s raining in Southern California…), and I’m happy to be spending the last day of 2016 with a friend very near and dear to my heart and his equally dear partner (the batter thief below) in a place that I’ve wanted to visit for a long time.
While California isn’t “home”, I think that home is a feeling that comes with who you are with (or on your own) and what you do to be comfortable where you are. I’m always with people I care about on NYE and I tend to bake or cook because I love the smells and the act of making something that will be shared. They remind me of my mum doing her thing in the kitchen, and it makes me feel, well, at home.
As always, goals for the year:
- PATIENCE – I find it frustrating that I (mostly) have patience for days with others but not with myself. It’s okay if things get messy. It’s about how you clean up.
- TRAVEL – Always.
- FINANCE – Get myself completely debt free ahead of schedule. Save, save, save.
- COMPLETION – Finish my 500 yoga teaching certification, and a couple projects I’ve been working on for a while now. Read: Stop procrastinating.
- MEDITATION – 11 minutes. Every day. No excuses.
- AUDACITY & KINDNESS – I’ve been fortunate to hear Olympian, and fellow Canadian, Silken Laumann, speak on a few occasions. She talks about being audacious and not being afraid go for it. She is also one of the kindest people I have ever met and I admire her spirit and the way she lives her life.
Wherever you are, whatever you are doing for NYE, I hope you’re warm and with good people. I hope your wishes came true in a year that was a little weird, and that 2017 is a year that is even better. I wish you audacity and kindness. Be safe, have fun, share joy.
Happy New Year! xoxo
You can get excited about the future. The past won’t mind.
~ Hillary DePiano ~