Um, it’s December 1. What?!
While I’m gob-smacked at how quickly December came, this is one of my favourite times of year. I tend to contain my excitement until about December 5 and then let it loose; but because I’ve been planning some holiday season blog stuff since mid-October, my excitement started early. It’s partly the Brit’s fault. He sent me a link in October for a Christmas light event that was starting November 24 and it all snowballed from there…
Continue reading “Happy December 1st! + #12DaysofHygge Day 1: Merry and Bright Vancouver Christmas Activities”
Apparently the world is going to end at 3am tomorrow morning, and it occurred to me that I haven’t written anything in a while. To be perfectly honest, I’ve only just (mid-month) gotten the Christmas spirit, so I haven’t had much to write about. I’m a bit ashamed of myself, as this is my favourite time of year.
But it’s been so busy (Christmas is terribly hectic in the corporate world – my day world) and I think December felt a bit anti-climactic with December 1 being on a Saturday (which means one weekend less of prep and/or holiday parties) and not going away for Christmas affected me a bit. Even baking ginger cookies and seeing “White Christmas” at the Stanley Theatre didn’t do it for me. Oddly enough, making a gingerbread house for a work contest brought out my holiday spirit. (Our theme was “Christmas on Mars”, rover and all. I made amazingly Mars-like buttercream icing for terrain and Tia in my office created the rover and our overall vision. So much fun.)
As I am now in the spirit, I thought I would share my favourite things about the holidays:
- Seeing my family and friends – Self-explanatory. My best friend is home for Christmas this year and has brought her baby girl with her, and I am so excited to see them.
- Our annual holiday open house – Part of the seeing friends aspect of things. We (by “wee” I mean Sean) are going to roast a turkey on the BBQ spit, like he did for my birthday this year and I am going to bake and cook my little heart out!
- Starbucks “Joy” Tea – Something about the taste of this tea echoes Christmas and coziness for me.
- Vancouver Giants Teddy Bear Toss – A grand junior hockey tradition and awesome fundraiser for a couple local charities. It was always my favourite game of the season when I worked in Game Ops and it’s even more fun as a spectator.
- Lowney cherry chocolates – So not good for you, but so delicious. Sean likes them as well and we’ve already gone through two boxes…
- Food – turkey, turkey, and more turkey. I love family dinners. This year, we have three… Pray for me…
- Baking – This year, I will conquer shortbread.
- Christmas stockings – my mom makes amazing stockings. If you have one of my mom’s handmade, beautiful stockings, you know what I mean.
- White Christmas – favourite movie ever of all time. Bing Crosby’s voice just melts my heart.
- Holiday music – How can you not be happy when you hear “All I Want for Christmas (Is You)” or “Do They Know It’s Christmas” on the radio???
- Decorating – This year we don’t have a tree as we sold ours when we moved and then we were away last year. But we have my ceramic tree, and that will do for this year 🙂
I’m not really superstitious, but I do hope that we don’t wake up to a fiery inferno or barren wasteland – we have a party to host tomorrow! Those Mayans sure have the modern day world in a bit of a tizzy… See you tomorrow…? 😉